[Dysphagia] carbonated beverages

  • Subject: [Dysphagia] carbonated beverages
  • From: Casper219 at aol.com (Casper219@aol.com)
  • Date: Mon Jan 19 21:04:54 2004

I got a question today from a rehab director who says she is used to seeing
carbonated beverages as a transition from thickened to thin fluids.  She's new
to her position and the SLPs she works with are not familiar with this
practice.  I understand the potential benefits of carbonated beverages for some
patients in terms of the premise that there may be some sensory stimulation from
the carbonation, but wondered if anyone was a. using this routinely in their
practice and / or b. had any evidence to support or refute this practice.  My
personal / anecdotal experience with soda has been mixed.
Thanks for your assistance!
Mary